Along with your current treatment programme, regular, moderate exercise offers a whole host of benefits, including:
- Reduces your joint pain and stiffness
- Maintain good posture and mobility of the spine
- Strengthens the muscles, ligaments and cartilage around your joints
- Strengthen the postural muscles which help keep you up straight, and improve your breathing and chest expansion.
- Helps you maintain bone strength and quality
- Increases your joint range of motion and joint mobility
- Improves your balance
- Gives you more strength and energy to get through the day
- Helps you control your weight
- Makes it easier to get a good night's sleep
- Makes you feel better about yourself and improves your sense of well-being
- Improves your ability to manage stress
- Reduces the risk of other chronic conditions
- Promotes stronger heart and lungs
- Lowers your blood pressure and cholesterol
- You should do some specific exercise for your axSpA everyday. Consistency is the key to gaining maximum benefit.
- Remember, everyone is different and can manage different activity levels.
- At least 30 minutes of specific exercise should be done each day, targeting different parts of the body and different movement, ensuring the whole body is stretched and moved daily.
- The best exercise programs are individually tailored. A physiotherapist can help deign a program to meet your specific needs.
- Activities and sports that improve your general fitness are an important inclusion in your total management plan.
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL ARTHRITIS OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION AND SUPPORT SERVICES.